I’m Aubrey, a born adventurer and fired up about this beautiful world we call home. I’m an outdoor enthusiast. Music maker. Mover and shaker. Inspired by nature. Hunting for hope.
My adventure towards REDBUDSUDS began in 2012 when my husband and I traded our secure jobs for a van and an open road. Too often in modern life, we’re so busy that we forget to reflect. We lose sight of how interdependent we are on the earth and each other. The journey that followed shifted our perspective. We spent 2 years touring the country to rock climb and paddle, working as guides and whatever else we could find, immersing ourselves all the while in the vastness of our country's public lands. From the BWCA in Minnesota, to the deserts of Utah, to the bison country in Oklahoma to the timeless mountains of the Southeast, we soaked it in. While our friends were advancing their careers, we were learning lessons from the land and people closest to it.
Taking time to slow down – to notice, to truly pay attention to our relationships with our fellow travelers and the earth – had an enormous impact on us.
Out of this, REDBUDSUDS has come alive.
I didn't set out to start a business. I set out to do environmental advocacy in a creative way. I never imagined it would lead me here, but here we are.
The name "REDBUDSUDS" is a nod to my roots in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, where the redbud trees are the first to bloom on the mountainsides in the spring. REDBUDSUDS is a reminder that there’s a better season ahead. It is more than something to get you clean; it’s a reminder that every day we make small but important choices that actually make a difference.
To use our love of adventure to spark simplicity and inspire action in everyday life.
We focus on what we can change, not on what we can't.
We our 100% woman-owned and mostly women-operated.
We hope by using our shower bars you feel inspired to go beyond a thoughtfully clean shower into living a thoughtfully clean life.
Our shower bars are designed to give you everything you need for trail and home in just one bar.
- Less is more. 4-in-1 means shampoo, conditioner, body and shave soap, all in one.
- Thoughtfully clean. Our shower bars eliminate: preservatives, parabens, phthalates, plastic packaging, trips to the recycling bin, and explosions in your suitcase or backpack.
- Ingredients you can trust. We use only real, recognizable ingredients. You'll never see palm oil on our ingredient deck. Made in Ohio, we opt for a local, sustainably-produced alternative: pure lard! Just like our grandma's recipe. We partner with local farmers near our workshop so nothing goes to waste.
- Benefits from plants. Rich conditioning from ingredients like fair trade shea butter and castor oil provide a thick, irresistible lather that's great for your skin and scalp without all the synthetic surfactants in conventional products.
- Mess-free delivery. With a shoofah (aka shower bar loofah bag), every bar becomes soap-on-a-rope. Shoofahs help generate amazing lather fast, make the bar last longer, help the bar dry quickly for easy storage, and keep your shower bar free from dirt, hair and debris.
- Members of 1% for the Planet. One percent of every sale goes to conservation. Do good with your green!
In 2017, we welcomed our first bona fide employee! Meet Liz Wagner, Manufacturing Assistant and Shipping Manager Extraordinaire.
Liz’s eco-tip: My scientific background is what inspires me to be more ecologically caring. I know what will happen if we don’t.
Liz’s dream vacation: Visiting Scotland and traveling around on public lands.
When she’s not whipping up a batch of soap, trimming or labeling hundreds of bars, you may find her exploring trails, biking through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park or attending comic and sci-fi conventions.
Chances are, you’ve gotten bitten by the adventure bug just like we did. Maybe it was the first time you saw an Appalachian sunrise or climbed a desert tower. Maybe it was the call of a loon echoing over a lake in the northwoods or riding the surf on the coast. These experiences change us forever, and if we let them, they can change the course of our lives for the better. Small drops make an ocean.