1 | How do I use the shampoo bar?
Wet your hair and lather the soap between your hands (above your head works best). Gently work the bar along your scalp until you feel an amazing, big lather. It may take a little getting used to at first but don't worry! This luxurious lather both shampoos and conditions. Rinse well, avoiding contact with eyes.
Bonus: most folks don’t have to use extra conditioner. In the case of very long, very dry, or very curly hair, additional conditioner may be needed.
Extra bonus: once your hair adjusts, you can wash your hair less often. Three cheers for that.
2 | Which is the best bar for me?
All Redbudsuds shower bars are designed to be gentle, lather up fantastically, and leave your hair, scalp and skin moisturized and feeling great. We scent them with pure essential oils, so each bar smells like the real deal because it is the real deal.
Here are a few ideas, though, to get you started. Also, check this video.
- Citrus Sunshine | the best bar if you don’t know where to start. Great for all types, including combination hair/skin. Light, fresh scent.
- That Extra-Meter Cedar | best for fine hair/oily scalps, also excellent as a facial bar thanks to detoxifying activated charcoal. Deep, woodsy scent.
- Kickass Lemongrass | our most conditioning with henna and tea tree, great for dry scalps/hair thanks to henna (non-coloring) and tea tree oil. Bizarrely, this one also works great on troubled facial skin, again thanks to tea tree. Powerful scent.
- Sea Clay Rest Day | great for all skin/hair types. Sea Clay adds silkiness to the lather, also makes it a superior shaving bar, giving the lather just a little extra “slip” for the razor to glide easily across the skin. Light, calming, fresh scent.
- Scent Free | for sensitive skin and scalps (and noses). Get all the great moisture, conditioning and gentle cleansing without any frills. Got kids? It’s also the best pick for babies.
- Still unsure? Try the Travel Epic Suds Bundle and try them all out (and get a Travel Shoofah + Cotton Satchel). Experience the simplicity of a shampoo bar, conditioner, body soap and shave soap all in one!
3 | How does the shampoo bar work?
The big lather gently cleanses without stripping, and natural oils (like castor oil and shea butter) provide conditioning at the same time. No need to wash twice; one good lather and rinse is all you need.
4 | I really don’t need conditioner?
The bar was designed to both shampoo and condition, however, everyone’s needs are unique.
Typically, straight and/or short hair will find all the conditioning it needs with the 4-in-1 bars.
Curly and textured hair will need more. Learn more from some Redbudsuds fans about their curly hair secrets to success here. You can also purchase a plastic-free conditioner bar, also available on our website.
Another simple, all-natural alternative to "regular" conditioner is to use a quickly-absorbing oil like argan or jojoba oil. To condition with jojoba, simply apply a few drops to your palms, rub your hands together, and then apply to wet or dry hair (wet works best). Just remember: a little goes a long way!
5 | Is it true that shampoo bars don’t work in hard water?
We’ve tested our bars in extremely hard water and have found them to be successful. Hard water often requires a little more soap to be used, or a little more effort in working up a lather. We definitely recommend using a Shoofah in this case.
If you’ve having a hard time with your water, try an occasional clarifying wash. Simply add a pinch of baking soda -- literally, just a pinch! -- to a quart of warm water. (A waterbottle works great for mixing.) Use this dissolved soda water to wet your hair. Don’t wet your hair with regular water first! Get it good and wet with the soda water, then lather up with the soap as usual. You can then rinse with regular shower water. I also suggest following with the clarifying spritz rinse (see #6).
If you're experiencing a "transition" phase, this clarifying wash can help. You may have to use this a few washes in a row, but once your hair adjusts, you can skip the extra soda step and simply use regular water like normal.
6 | I’ve tried shampoo bars in the past and my hair feels gummy. Am I doing something wrong?
Our shower bars have been formulated to not leave your hair with that icky waxy feeling. If you feel this, you may be rinsing too soon. Make sure you're getting lots of suds before rinsing.
If you know you've mastered the lather and your hair still feels gummy or waxy, use the clarifying wash (See #5) and spritz-rinse (See #7) in your next shower.
7 | What do I do if I know I'm getting a great lather but my hair still feels waxy?
Occasional use of a clarifying spritz rinse or a clarifying product like "Malibu C Scalp Therapy Wellness Remedy" (google it, and it's vegan!) can help remove that icky gunk if you're having problems. This is especially helpful to ease the “transition phase” from conventional products if you’re experiencing one.
Here’s the Clarifying Spritz-Rinse we love (and used ourselves when we were first getting started!):
- Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider works best) in a 16-oz bottle or jar (a spray bottle works great but any old thing will do).
- Optional: Add 15-20 drops of hair-friendly essential oils (lavender or rosemary) to make it smell good.
- Spray or pour generously on your hair immediately after washing, while you’re still in the shower. Rinse.
Note: Adjust the dilution strength as needed. Use only as often as needed, since the clarifying rinse can be drying if used with every washing. You can also follow-up with a little jojoba or argan oil (see #3).
8 | I have long hair. Will it make my hair tangled?
The shower bar works for long hair and short hair alike. If you’re concerned about tangles, be sure to brush or comb your hair out BEFORE showering, and/or use a separate detangler after your shower.
9 | Does the shower bar work on colored hair?
All our testers have experienced no negative affect to their hair color. We do encourage you to use our bar at your own risk, however, as all colorants are unique and all hair is unique. As with any shampoo, test it out on a small amount of hair first. We also recommend waiting two weeks before using the shower bar on recently treated hair.
10 | Where has this been all my life?
11 | Subscription box sending schedule